Thursday, August 30, 2012

#78: Sidewalk Chalk


When I found this awesome little tutorial through Pinterest it was immediately added to the Summer list. I finally got around to try it out, and it's perfect! I tried two different colors, since I'm (hopefully) going to be giving a class at Kitsch for little kids and need to save all the toilet/paper towel rolls I can (#25: Teach a Class).

I was thinking the whole time I was making the chalk that I can't wait for little Thomas to get big enough and we can make chalk together! It's a great little DIY for children, and even better, it'll provide hours of fun to come.


Here's what you need:
disposable bowls
plastic spoons
wax paper
toilet/paper towel rolls
masking tape
scissors
3/4 cup warm water
1 1/2 cup plaster of paris
2-3 tbsp tempera paint


What you do:
1. Cut the wax paper in squares, cover one end of the toilet paper rolls and tape all the way around and twice around the bottom (making an 'X'). You're securing the paper so the plaster won't leak out.

2. Cut squares of wax paper for each of the tubes you're going to fill. Insert the paper into the rolls, it's okay if you have excess paper hanging out, just make sure no cardboard of the roll is exposed.



3. In a bowl, mix the plaster and water, start stirring with your spoon and then add your paint. If the color isn't vibrant enough, add more. You'll have to mix quickly though, because the plaster will set up within 20-30 minutes of that first drop of water.



4. Now spoon the mixture into your toilet paper rolls, gently tapping the bottoms along your work surface. This will ride the chalk of any air bubbles. Within 30 minutes the plaster seems hard, but it really should sit AT LEAST 24 hours. Once you've patiently waited, you can peal away the wax paper and start your chalk masterpiece on the nearest sidewalk.


I'm tackling the second annual 92 Days of Summer list.
See the full post and list here and comment
if you want to help me cross a off a few!