Monday, July 21, 2014

#31: Banana Cake


I wasn't really thinking about the wedding diet I should be doing when I put all the delicious and fattening items on my 92 Days of Summer list. However, this one is well worth it...and maybe even a potential for a wedding dessert! The process was easy and I actually halved my recipe so I could use my mini bundt cake pans.

What you need:
for the cake
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup Greek yogurt
1/2 stick better, softened
1 egg
2 very ripe bananas
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt

for the icing
1/2 stick butter
2 cups powdered sugar
3/4 tsp vanilla extract
splash of milk

What you do:
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Grease your pan with butter, then sprinkle with flour. Shake the pan until it's evenly coated.
2. In a mixing bowl, place butter, sugar, yogurt and the egg. Beat until creamy. Note, this mixture is very runny, but that's the way it's supposed to be!
3. Mash the bananas into the mixture. Add the vanilla and blend. The mixture will be a little lumpy.
4. Add the flour, baking soda and salt and mix on medium. Spread the batter in the pan and bake for approximately 30 minutes. Depending on what you bake, you may only need 20 minutes, so keep an eye on these babies.
5. Start the icing when you remove the cake from the oven. Melt the butter on medium heat until it starts to barely boil. Take away from the heat and add the powdered sugar, vanilla and splash of milk (only if you want it a little runnier). I waited about 30 seconds for the mixture to thicken, then poured over the cakes. Note, this made waaay too much icing for my needs, but I wanted more of a glaze than a full-on icing.
6. Serve warm or chill and eat later. Either way, it's yummy!

I'm participating in the 92 Days of Summer challenge. Click here to read all about it and here to a see a gallery of pictures of everyone participating.