Sunday, January 1, 2017

December Self Portrait

While last month I gave a word that summed up my feels at the time, this month I am picking a word for all of 2017. I first heard about this project on this podcast. Ali Edwards began the tradition of choosing one little word to focus on, to live with, to investigate, to write about and so on. And I love this idea. I love making lists, setting goals and seeing progress - in all aspects of my life. So, I see this endeavor as an on-going target that can move with me throughout the year.

The first word that came to me was Positive. It's been so easy getting caught up with all the bad news of the world, and I've noticed how all that bad energy has affected my mindset. In the past couple months, Mike has had to remind me to "think positive" on several occasions...which is very concerning. So naturally, positive was the front runner. But, that word was just too cheesy for me. I needed a word that sounded happy. The word needs to help me to focus on the positives of the everyday, but be flexible enough to lend itself to many avenues in 2017.

Worthwhile.
Meaningful.
Mindful.
Encourage.
Aware.
Nurture.
Cultivate.

I still wasn't in love with any of them. Then, tonight, I decided to give another look at my words. And it came out of nowhere.

Bright.


giving out or reflecting a lot of light; shining. giving an appearance of cheerful liveliness.

That sums it up perfectly. So, here's to a Bright 2017. Let's do this.