Monday, February 17, 2014

My Golden Year


Have I ever told you how lucky I am? For my Golden Birthday (Which, for those of you who don't know is the year in which you turn the age of the day you were born on. i.e. 29 on the 29th), I threw myself an "All That Glitters is Not Old" party. With everything shiny, sparkly, sequined and gold. With the help of my friend Cali, we made an ever-so-cute photo wall out of tissue paper from the Dollar Tree. Cali also make an adorable cake stand from stove covers and candlesticks, also from the Dollar tree, adorned with her delicious cupcakes.


My friends put up with obsessing about the perfect gold dress to wear, what to serve, finding a champagne punch recipe (which I didn't end up making), decorating, cleaning up, a cold Winter monsoon and downtown Norfolk parking, just to make me feel special on my birthday. Since the Summer, since friends bought houses and moved, had babies, had meetings, work and life in general, we haven't had as many opportunities to party like old times. So this was just a reason to get everyone excited for a night with good friends and good times. I couldn't have asked for a better way to ring in my 29th year...it's going to be the best yet!





If you're looking to throw a golden party, definitely find the clearance section after New Year's. Also, hanging Christmas bulbs are easy and cheap (after-Christmas sale). Hit up the Dollar Tree, there I found:
Star wrapping paper I used as table coverings
Plastic trays I spray painted (the under sides) gold
Gold star plates
Chinese take-out boxes
Gold and cream tissue paper (for the photo wall)
Streamers and confetti
Tall candles (spray painted gold)
Props for photo booth (glitter glasses, top hat, gold clock necklace, tiara, beads)

We served champagne, white wine, white cheddar popcorn, Parmesan goldfish, golden snack mix, golden Oreos and cheese and crackers.