Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Brooklyn Flea

A few weekends ago I took the notorious Chinatown Bus up to New York City to see Emily (the things I do for that girl), Ruben and Krissi. We stayed at Krissi's adorable apartment Brooklyn and had a pretty low-key weekend, considering we were in NYC.  I was delighted on Saturday to head to the famous Brooklyn Flea in warm temps and nothing but a t-shirt. I didn't end up buying anything, but got some great ideas for future projects, booth displays and craft shows.



This woman just weathered everything white. Simple approach, everything looks great together and you don't end up with 15 random colors of paint in your basement! It'd be easy to throw in some vintage colored glass bowls and vases for a nice pop (and charge a pretty penny for them as well).


I like the idea of using these carnival tickets as price tags. Easily identifiable, no need for designing, printing or having tons of product-specific tags. The stamp is a cute addition as well.



Succulent planters at $25 each?! You just need a dremel (I think that's the right tool) and 4x4s. You could paint, stain or tiles the sides and customize the designs. I also like the idea of the cedar votives. I'm not sure how safe these are once the candle burns down, but they certainly look great!



Letterpress blocks, keys, bowling pins, road signs and metal tool boxes. All essential finds at a flea market, that's for sure! I saw this ladder setup several times at the market and even suggested it as a display for a craft booth a few months back. It makes a lot of space, vertically and horizontally, and you can usually find an old ladder on Craigslist for about $20. If you were trying to make it look cohesive, you could paint the wood you use as shelves, but in this case, it serves the purpose just fine.



I loved this booth, but could not find a name or business card anywhere. It was also flooded with people so I didn't have a chance to talk to the girl behind it all, but was able to grab a few photos instead. The booth was filled with vintage ephemera galore! Flash cards, postcards, letters, pages from books, sheet music, ribbon, book marks, library cards...you name it, it was there. The displays were perfect and the prices weren't bad either. She had a few framed pieces that were quite a bit more, but definitely worth it. It gave me all sorts of inspiration for my next Pop Up Shop, however this type of merchandise certainly takes a specific clientele!