Tuesday, July 1, 2014

#15: Eat Lunch Outside


I need to make take more lunch breaks sitting outside and actually taking a break. Especially before it gets too hot! Today I enjoyed my Mexi-Quinoa Salad, which I got from here. I altered the recipe a bit to fit my tastes and love all you can do with it. Mike ate it in a burrito last night and I layered it on some crisp Iceberg lettuce. Today I ate it cold with a heaping pile of hot sauce. It's up to you how to enjoy it!

What you need:
1 serving of couscous
1 tbsp olive oil
2 cloves of garlic, minced
3 tbsp jalapeno, diced
1/2 cup yellow, green and/or red peppers, diced
1/2 cup onion, diced
1 cup corn
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can fire-roasted tomatoes (with juice)
1/2 cup salsa, hot sauce, extra diced tomatoes + juice (optional)
1 1/4 tsp chili powder
3/4 tsp cumin
juice of one lime

What you do:
1. Prepare the couscous as directed. Set aside.
2. Saute the garlic, jalapeno, peppers and onions in the olive. After onions start to soften, add the chili powder, cumin and some salt and pepper.
3. Once the mixture is tender, add the corn, black beans, fire-roasted tomatoes and couscous. Let simmer for a few minutes. If you're finding the mixture is to dry for your taste, add in the salsa, hot sauce and or extra diced tomatoes.
4. Right before serving, squeeze fresh lime juice over mixture and stir once more. Add cheese and sour cream if desired.



I'm participating in the 92 Days of Summer challenge. Click here to read all about it and here to a see a gallery of pictures of everyone participating.