Monday, January 19, 2015

Happy Halloween (in January)

You'll be seeing a lot of these unseasonal types of posts for a little while until I get caught up from 2014. I promise to keep them short and sweet, though!


Last year for Halloween, I was able to convince Mike to dress up as a toymaker and I was a creepy wind-up doll. I originally want to be a marionette doll, but I couldn't figure out how to make the strings not annoying, so I settled with something much easier. And, we were able to accomplish both of our costumes for less than $30!


Here's what you need:
Doll: 
white baby doll type of dress (mine came from Target and I actually wore it to my bridal shower)
makeup: white face paint, black liquid eyeliner and red lipstick
black and white striped tights
key and wind-up box (which consisted of a wrapping paper tube, key shape cut from cardboard and a round paper mache box from the craft store, all painted gold, trimmed in gold lace and gold ribbon for the belt, which holds it on you.)
pigtails with matching ribbon

Toymaker:
apron
steampunk goggles
top hat
black eye makeup
tools for the apron


Of course it's not a party without all the Halloween themed food. My friends and I teamed up to make mummy dogs, spiderweb seven layer dip, skeleton cheese ball (using a jello mold), haystacks, cupcakes and more!