Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Crab Cakes

I can't believe I forgot to blog about my first attempt at crab cakes! Earlier this year I made crab balls, but those were much easier and a lot less pressure...you see these crab cakes replaced the Turkey at Thanksgiving for Mike and his mother, Sonia.


Anyway, I got an easy recipe from a co-worker and by the second batch I had the routine down. Be warned though, fresh crab meat is not cheap! And I didn't even use the nicest lump meat ($25 per pound). I'm pretty pleased with the results, so follow along!

What you need
1/4 cup mayo
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 tsp dijon mustard
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp hot sauce
1/2 tsp Old Bay Seasoning
1 lb fresh crab meat (I used back fin)
2 tbsp chopped green onion
1/2 cup breadcrumbs (or you can use Ritz cracker crumbs)
salt and pepper
vegetable oil for frying

What you do
1. Combine all the ingredients.
2. Mold into patties and place on a cookie sheet. Optional: You can refrigerate up to an hour and it'll help in the frying process. If you're running low on time, head straight to the next step.
3. Fry the crab cakes in hot oil in batches of 2-3. I made 8 medium-sized cakes and served with a (store-bought) Cajun red pepper remoulade - mixed with a little mayo to make it more creamier. 


Sonia's sweet potato casserole, which she made just for
Mike - since neither her or I like it. But it came out so pretty!