Sunday, December 23, 2012

Farm Girls Pub & Grub


My mom signed us up for a beer tasting the first night I was back in Alliance. Honestly I stopped listening at "beer tasting in Alliance"!? This would definitely be a first for our little Home of the Carnation. Anyway, my mom goes on to tell me a bunch of women farmers got together and opened a restaurant downtown Alliance called the Farm Girls Pub & Grub. They use (as many) local ingredients as they can and support the local economy 300 percent. You can imagine my excitement to hear of such a progressive event (and venue) in Alliance. 


Friday night we headed down to what was last known as Anthony's Italian Restaurant (also, what my mom remembers as where she ate dinner after prom). The owners have refinished the hardwood floors and original bar. They added lots of hanging lights to brighten up the place, but kept the original hunter green booths and mirrors on the walls.



About 30 people were in attendance and we started about 7 p.m. We tried six different beers, two local (Blonde Bombshell from Indigo Imp and Frosted Frog Christmas Ale from Hoppin' Frog) and three national (Hibernation from Great Divide, Double Bastard Ale from Stone Brewery, Winter Storm from Heavy Seas and Breckenridge Christmas Ale). They also served local cheeses, pickled veggies, sausage and crackers. Our favorites were the Hibernation and Winter Storm, and the Blonde Bombshell was also pretty tasty but not something I'd usually drink.

 
We ordered a bit of food at the end of the night - which was delicious. I don't eat meat, but the chickpea, kale and chicken soup was among the best I've had. We had such a fun time and I can't wait to visit the Farm Girls Pub & Grub the next time I'm home!