Monday, January 16, 2012

Grandma's Slush


I've already touched on how my mom's sauerkraut balls are the symbol of the new year, but there is one symbol of Christmas I forgot to share with you...my Grandma's Slush. It's actually an amusing story. My grandparents never drank. Maybe one glass of that terribly sweet jug wine on Christmas day, but that's it. After my grandfather passed away, my grandma started making this slush and it's been a holiday tradition ever since. Since we stayed in Virginia this year for Christmas, I carried on the tradition and brought the drink to our Christmas Day get together with friends. The concoction was a huge success and will remain a holiday tradition for years to come!

What you need:
4 tea bags
2 cups sugar
12 oz frozen orange juice
12 oz frozen lemonade
2 1/2 cups whiskey
7up or Ginger Ale

What you do:
1. Boil two cups water and steep the tea bags for five minutes. Remove the tea bags and add the sugar. Stir until dissolved.
2. Mix in the orange juice, lemonade, whiskey and 4 1/2 cups of water.
3. Divide into two freezer safe containers and wait over night. The mixture won't completely freeze, so when it's reached the slushy consistency, add a little 7up and enjoy!

Side note on these lovely glasses: they're my
grandmothers and even with the slight chips
 in the rim I still love them to pieces -
plus they have a matching platter!!