Sunday, January 1, 2012

Vegetarian Sauerkraut Balls


Happy 2012! It's going to be an exciting year and I wanted to start things off with a little good luck recipe (it's good luck to eat sauerkraut on New Year's Day). Sauerkraut balls have been a New Years dish in my mother's house since I can remember – the kraut and cream cheese fried goodness makes my mouth water just thinking about them. Now that I've mastered the almost two-hour process (and in a vegetarian fashion) I feel like I can do anything! Especially share this tradition with you!

What you need:
8 oz fake sausage, crumbled
1/4 cup chopped onion
14 oz sauerkraut, drained
2 tbsp + 2 cups bread crumbs
3 oz cream cheese
1 tsp mustard, dijon mustard, garlic salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 cup flour
1 well beaten egg
2 tbsp milk

What you do:
1. Cook sausage and onion until brown. Add the sauerkraut and bread crumbs.
2. In a separate bowl, combine cheese, parsley, mustards, garlic and pepper. Stir into sauerkraut mixture. Chill for about an hour.
3. Shape into small balls (about a small meatball), coat with flour, dip in milk and egg mixture and roll into bread crumbs.
4. Fry in oil and bake at 375 for 15 to 20 minutes (the latter is optional).