Thursday, September 13, 2012

Thrifty Thursday

If you have a piece of cork, use it to stabilize
your earrings while they dry!

I found these cute stud earrings on Etsy, but I knew I could make them myself somehow (not being real gold, of course). So when I came across this tutorial I knew it was meant to be. I've been in need of some silver earrings and just so happen to have this silver metallic paint left over from a King Tut box I made my mom years ago (just go with it).


I spent about $4 on both bags of wood plugs and already had everything else. Not bad for what could be up to 18 pairs of earrings.

Where's what you do:
1. For the big plugs, you can easily hold and paint around the tops. Wait till the top dries and paint the bottom.
2. The smaller plugs are a bit harder, since there is no lip to hold onto, and they are just plain small! I glued the earring post to the stud before painting.
3. However, here's the problem I ran into...the superglue was soaking immediately into the wooden plugs. So, I ended up painting the bottom of the plugs, covering with the nail polish, gluing the earring post on, then finally painting...completely backward!

Whichever way you decide to do it, is fine...continue here...
 

4. Give the stud a couple layers of paint. Jazz it up with a stripe, or polka dots.
3. After the paint dries, give it a top coat with clear nail polish to protect it from chipping and to give it that extra shine. Let dry completely.
3. Use a jewelry adhesive or super glue to adhere the earring post onto the back of the wooden stud.
4. Repeat until you've made enough earrings for every day of the week - or month!