Thursday, September 20, 2012

Thrifty Thursdays


A big thanks to my friend Krista who went to a great estate sale with me last weekend in West Ghent. She was the one who first spotted the cabinet full of buttons, which I immediately snagged. The whole cabinet was suppose to sell with all the contents, but I worked a deal for all these buttons for only $9. The condo has not been updated since probably, 1963, but I find comfort and a little excitment in 'old house smell.'


This isn't even all of them! I've already set aside a bunch (and snaps and pinking sheers) for Kitsch's next swap meet. Aren't those big green ones amazing? I can't wait to attach those to some hair clips! In a quick estimate I got more than 100 buttons...there were also many more in a separate jar we found in random box.


The thing I admire most about the older accessories, is the packaging. The typography and colors are fantastic. Now everything is just boring white...no design excitement!


I also found these super retro book name plates in a pile of paper goods. A bag of four different designs for $1. I haven't decided what I'm going to do with them...well, I know a few will be going to Thomas for his book collection. There was a huge box of various-sized envelopes, loads of illustrated postcards with greetings for every occasion and party invitations. It's a good thing we were on our bikes, or that box would be wiggling itself into my closet somehow. All in all, it was a nice morning ride with lots of vintage goods in tow. Not to mention, lots of new earring accessories coming soon!