Friday, July 10, 2015

Pie of a Different Color.

I'll admit. This isn't quite what I had in mind when I put "Bake a Pie" on the list. Maybe Aunt Tillie's Pecan Pie. Perhaps Sue's Zucchini Pie. A cute July-4th-themed cherry pie.


But we ended up with Cheeseburger Pie, thanks to this cookbook. Alpha-Bakery was a favorite of the eight-year-old Ashley. My mom, sister and I tested many of these recipes over the years, which included everything from pizza pockets to playdough. I came across the paperback as I was organizing, purging unwanted craft items and building a hefty donate pile. It was missing about half the pages as I had used them as postcards a few years back (have no fear, our original copy is still safe and sound in Ohio), but Cheeseburger Pie was still in tact. I happened to leave the cookbook on the counter, flipped open to the savory pie recipe. When Mike saw it, he got so excited at the thought of a "Cheeseburger Pie," there was no way I could deny him all the delicious glory that this eight-year-old once enjoyed.


I'm sure you're just dying to know the recipe, here are my modifications.

What you need:
1/2 pound ground beef
1 cup mix of onion, green and red peppers, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1/3 cup dill pickle juice
1/2 cup dill pickles, chopped
1 1/2 cups shredded cheese
jalapeƱos, sliced
1/4 cup flour
1 pre-made pie crust or bag of pizza dough

1. Heat the oven to 425 degrees. Mix the pizza dough according to directions.
2. Grease a pie dish, then pat the dough in the bottom and up the sides. Bake for 15 minutes.
3. Cook beef, onions, peppers and garlic until brown. Sprinkle with flour, and salt and pepper to taste.
4. Stir in pickles and pickle juice, milk and 3/4 cup cheese. Spoon into pie dish.
5. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top and place sliced jalapeƱos. Bake an additional 15 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly.

#88: Purge & Donate
#16: Organize
#62: Bake a Pie



I'm participating in the 92 Days of Summer challenge. Click here to see my 92 To-Do's for this Summer - and to see the brave souls tackling their own lists!