Thursday, April 19, 2012

Thrifty Thursday



I decided that to make my button jewelry process easier, I needed to have color coordinated jars for my buttons. You might think this is a little excessive, and you're right. However, it took me about 15 seconds to find a particular button the other day, where as it used to take me months (yes, months) to locate the necessary item ;)

You'll notice fabric on the left, which I was originally going to use.
However, after trying one or two lids, I realized they wouldn't
close tight and resorted to magazines instead.

The project can be made with any old jars and paper, the Mod Podge will cost you less than $5 at the craft store and the project will take you less than 40 minutes!

What you need:
5-7 jars, cleaned free of labels and glue
Mod Podge
Foam paint brush
Scissors
Magazines – Restoration Hardware came in handy for this!

What you do:
1. Cut your colored paper in circles measuring about 1" wider than the lids.
2. With the foam brush, apply the Mod Podge to the wrong side of the circle (apply generously). Lay the lid in the center of the circle and fold the edges to the inside of the lid.
3. Apply another generous coat of Mod Podge to the top of the lid and sides. You can repeat this a couple of times for a more textured finish ( I put two coats on).