Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Acorn Squash Curry

This certainly does not look appetizing, but it really is, I promise!

I found a Martha Stewart recipe via Pinterest, but had less than half the ingredients it called for. However, I did have an acorn squash that needed to be used, so I made some substitutions and am pretty happy with my results. Plus, I have lunch for the entire week!

What you need:
1 tbsp olive oil
1 small onion, diced
1 tbsp garlic
2 tbsp curry powder
2 cups cauliflower (I used frozen)
1 lb acorn squash, cut into 1" cubes
1 cup corn (black beans, or the original recipe called for lentils)
2 cans diced tomatoes, with juice
salt, pepper and a few hits of hot sauce

What you do:
1. Saute the onion and garlic in the olive oil until soft.
2. Add the curry powder and stir constantly for 1 minute.
3. Add the rest of the ingredients, plus 1 1/2 cups water and bring to a boil. Let simmer for 30 minutes or until the squash is tender.
4. Serve with a sour cream, plain non-fat yogurt and/or feta cheese.