Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Corn Chowder & Roasted Chickpeas


While my mom was here I was trying to use up some random ingredients I had laying around. Mike went to a concert, so I decided to try the roasted chickpea recipe that's been lingering on Pinterest for months. I really should have tried this sooner - delicious and so easy! Rinse a can of chickpeas, pour on oiled baking sheet and coat with your favorite seasonings (I used garlic, Old Bay, salt and pepper). Bake at 450 degrees until they are crunchy, about 40 minutes.

Once we had enough of those, I determined corn chowder would use a lot of various items, so I got to work. I'm not even sure if I can tell you exactly how much of everything I used, but go with this as a guideline, not the rule:

2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 onion
1 small can green chilies
2 cups of corn (I used frozen)
2 strips of bacon (fake)
2 sausage patties (fake)
2/3 cup milk
1/4 cup water
salt, pepper

1. Saute garlic with the onion in 1 tsp olive oil.
2. Cook the sausage and bacon in the microwave and chop finely. Add to the onion.
3. Add in the rest of the ingredients and bring to a boil.
4. Use a hand blender to mix to your desired consistency. I gave it about 5 good pulses for 20 seconds or so.
5. Serve immediately.