Thursday, May 23, 2013

Before & After: Tea Cart


Would you believe I found this vintage tea cart at an estate sale for $6? It was originally $12, but Sundays are always half off - my lucky day! It doesn't look too bad here, but was actually rusted pretty bad, so it couldn't stay as is. 


I decided I wanted to do a really bright, loud color. My friend suggested coral, which I thought would be so pretty. However, the full can of green spray paint I bought several months ago to refinish jewelry boxes (like these) was sitting in my closet screaming to be used.


I unassembled the cart easily since it was missed three of the eight screws that held it together. With heavy grit sandpaper I gave all the parts a 15-minute sand job, then wiped clean with a towel. I taped up the white rollers on the feet and gave the entire cart two heavy coats of paint. 


Since it was a gorgeous day outside the whole thing was dry within an hour. I reassembled, added the glass back on top and voila! You might remember this below from Better Block. It was one of our centerpieces when you walked in the shop. I am so happy with the way it came out, it'll be perfect for serving drinks on the patio one day... or maybe a plant holder in the garden.