Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Layered Veggie Bake

I can't wait to try this recipe again...so I guess that means it was a success?

I would say almost. I forgot to cover the dish while baking for the first 30 minutes, so they roasted instead of baked. And I think I'd try feta or some sharp cheese next time for a little kick. Oh! Maybe even add some sliced jalapenos!

What you need
1 medium eggplant
3 small zuchini
1 medium squash
1 small onion
1 large regular potato
1 small red potato
2 medium tomatoes
4-5 cloves of garlic, minced
3/4 cup shredded cheese of your choice
salt, pepper, rosemary and olive oil

What you do
1. Oil the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish and rub with 1 clove of mince garlic.
2. Slice all the veggies about 1/8" thick and set aside.
3. Return to your baking dish and start layering the veggies in short columns (image the pan as a short and wide rectangle, I probably got 6 or 7 columns). The order doesn't matter and you don't have to be particular about arranging by color since it will get smothered in cheese anyway :).
4. Once you have all the veggies stacked, drizzle with oil and fresh rosemary, salt and pepper. Cover with foil and bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes.
5. Take the dish out and remove the foil. Cover with the cheese and return to the over until it's browned and bubbly and the veggies are tender (another 20 minutes).
6. Serve immediately.