Sunday, June 8, 2014

Girls Day

#30: Girls Day doing #41: Wedding Dress Shopping

I think you could say this weekend was extremely successful. Extremely fun, sweet and perfect. And I feel extremely blessed to have such a wonderful Mom and family I'm marrying into. Since she doesn't live here and has done most of her wedding contributions via the phone, I decided that dress shopping would be the thing that my mom and I get to do together. She drove down on Thursday to spend the weekend with us (#36: Host Guests) and our first stop was The Women's Club. Of course she thought it was super perfect for us - although Mike and I started having our doubts about the reception hall size, the stage, the ceremony setup and everything else. But she calmed our nerves and we headed over to Smartmouth for dinner and a beer.

Friday we woke up early, went for a walk and played in my grandmother's wedding dress. We had our first dress appointment at 11 a.m. at Silk Bridal Consignment in Virginia Beach. And it was all so suddenly real that I was a grown up girl, trying on wedding gowns and getting married. That first look at myself in a white dress nearly took my breath away (probably also because the dress was very tight). But the look on my mother's face when that curtain opened made me feel like a million bucks and I realized with her as my cheerleader we were going to power through this days.

#42 New Restaurant

After lunch at a new (to me) sandwich place, Philadelphia Cold Cuts, and what seemed like a hundred dresses at Ava Clara (our second appointment), we went back to Silk and bought The Dress. It's not at all what I imagined myself in. But it's exactly perfect for me. Almost too perfect in that I can't gain a single pound before we get married. And I won't!


The rest of the weekend we were able to relax and enjoy the sights around Norfolk. We checked out a few potential places for rehearsal dinners, went thrift store shopping, hit up Table Seven, even went to the beach so my mom could check some things off her 92 Days list.

My mom just packed up her car and is on her way home. Just like that the weekend is over and we're back to reality. Although now there's a wedding dress hanging on the back of the guest bedroom door that makes me smile ear to ear, affirming I am one step closer to marrying the best guy in the world.

I'm participating in the 92 Days of Summer challenge. Click here to read all about it and here to a see a gallery of pictures of everyone participating.