Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Mmmm, Lasagna


I was a craving a delicious, hearty pasta so I went big and made lasagna for Mike and I recently. It wasn't your typical lasagna though, because Mike doesn't care for ricotta or cottage cheese, so I did a little improvising. If I say so myself, it turned out fantastic and I'm looking forward to making this again - very soon!

What you need:


A jar of pasta sauce
1 lb ground beef
1/2 onion, 1/2 green pepper, chopped
Mushrooms, diced
1 can diced tomatoes
3 cloves garlic, minced
4 oz cream cheese
1 egg
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
1 bag shredded mozzarella cheese
No-boil lasagna noodles
basil, oregano, crushed red pepper

What you do:
1. Sauté the veggies and brown the beef with garlic, crushed red pepper, basil and oregano. Add the pasta sauce and diced tomatoes.
2. In a separate bowl, mix the cream cheese, parm and egg until creamy.
3. Layer in a 9x9 pan: sauce on the bottom, noodles, creamy mixture, meat mixture, shredded cheese and repeat three times or until you are out if ingredients.
4. Bake for an hour at 425 degrees. Let cool 5-10 minutes before serving - it's hot, hot, hot!