I made this little mezze meal for my mom, sister and I while I was home. It consisted of red pepper dip (with a twist), tapenade and white bean dip. The trio would be great for parties or just a simple summer meal when it's too hot to do a lot of cooking. Plus, the good news? All the ingredients cost me less than $11. Here's what you need, along with the price breakdown.
What you need:Pita bread ($2)
1 can navy beans ($0.68)
Roasted red peppers ($1.79)
1 package cream cheese ($2.29)
1 jar olives ($1.09)
1 can artichokes ($0.99)
1 cucumber ($0.50)
bag of carrots ($1.09)
garlic, lemon, olive oil, salt and pepper (already had)
For the red pepper dip
1. Drain and dry the red peppers.
2. In a food processor, combine the peppers, 1/4 can of navy beans, half the package of cream cheese and lots of fresh cracked salt and pepper.
3. You can also sprinkle in some feta or other cheeses you have in the fridge.
For the tapenade1. Drain the olives and artichokes.
2. In a food processor, combine 1 clove garlic, 1 tsp, olive oil, 1 tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice, olives and artichokes. Pulse until desired consistency.
For the white bean dip1. In a food processor, mince 3-4 cloves garlic (more or less depending on how much garlic you like).
2. Add 3/4 can of navy beans and the rest of the cream cheese. Blend until mixture is smooth and creamy.
For the dippers1. Cut up the cucumbers and carrots.
2. Cut the pita bread in long strips (or whatever shape you prefer). Heat under the broiler for a few minutes until toasted just slightly.