Thursday, June 7, 2012

Thrifty Thursdays


I fell in love with this shirt when I saw it on Pinterest. However, the price was not so lovely. So, I decided to make my own version using a shirt from my closet as a pattern. It was so simple and took less than an hour to complete. Here's what you do.


I used this yellow shirt as my pattern (found it at a thrift store for $1). I traced the shirt onto some wrapping paper and omitted the sleeves.


I made a front and back by drawing a deeper neckline for the front of the shirt. I also drew horizontal lines to ensure arm holes and side angles were even.

 

Use your new patter and cut out two pieces in the fabric of your choice. I found this fabric at Walmart for only $2 a yard. Sew the shoulders first, then the sides, stopping about 4 inches from the bottom (so it splits - see the first photo). Turn in and sew the neckline and bottom edges to prevent fraying and you're all finished!