Monday, February 4, 2013

Salads Made Simple

I'm so excited for this today's post. My very good friend Shawn, who has been a longtime inspiration, mentor and wealth of knowledge is going to share some of her favorite salad recipes. Over the years, we have spent hours and hours of trading recipes and cooking tricks. On top of working nights, she rides her bike to work (20-30 minutes each way) so having food that is easy to make and transport, healthy and won't bore you is incredibly important. So...take it away Shawn!


Over the years, I've found that getting a good mix ingredients and dressings is key to making a salad a successful meal. At the beginning of each week I purchase my ingredients. I prep the ones that need cleaned and chopped, then I set them in individual containers (note: carrots and peppers are fine to mix). This will take a little time, but it's worth the lack of stress when it comes to putting together your lunch each day before work. 

Before you go to the store, make a list of what you'll need. I have a few standing items that are always included in my salads (carrots and red peppers) other ingredients changed based on the season. Same goes with the leafy element. My standby is romaine lettuce and red or green leaf. But, since it's winter those cost a little more so I've switched it up to kale and spinach (which each pack in a lot more vitamins and minerals). 

Shopping List:
Kale (two bunches)
Spinach (one bunch)
Carrots (one bunch)
Red pepper 
Grape tomatoes
Feta
Braeburn apple
Sunflower seeds
dressing (if you aren't ready to make your own)
Lemon (if you want to make your own dressing)

What I have at home:
1 can Garbanzo beans
Olive Oil
Balsamic vinegar
Dijon mustard
Fresh garlic
Ground pepper

Wash and chop greens (kale in 1/2 inch strips). Place in container with a lid.
Wash and dice three carrots and the red pepper. (I typically cut the apple day of so it won't turn too brown.) Place in a container with a lid.
 
 
Salad No. 1:
In large bowl grab a few handfuls of spinach. 
Grab 3/4 handful of carrots and red pepper combination.  
Garbanzo beans (I typically use quarter of a can or so)
4 to 6 grape tomatoes, halved
Sprinkle feta
Sunflower seeds
Ground pepper
Dressing (in a separate, no leak container)
1 part balsalmic
2 parts olive oil
Meal time: Drizzle dressing over salad and enjoy.
 
Like this recipe? We do! Stay tuned for more salad recipes throughout the week!