Friday, July 20, 2012

#80: Pick Berries


Gettin' sweaty!
It's been years since I last picked berries, but the taste of locally grown produce is irresistable so I had to add it to the Summer list. To change it up a bit, I went blackberry picking at Henley Farms in Virginia Beach. What a terrific farm! The guys there were so incredibly nice, the fields are really well kept (for being a farm afterall), there is tons of great produce to pick from and best of all, their prices are great.

I went to pick the blackberries, but it's a little late in the season for that. While there are still berries to pick, the selection is getting a little wilted. I had no problem picking 2 lbs worth in less than 15 minutes. I also saw some quite interesting-looking bugs (big ones at that) and sweat off about 5 lbs (it was 98 degrees today).

Children of the Corn? Anyone?

I was also able to pick my own corn ($3 a dozen) and tomatoes ($1 per lb). Picking the corn brought back some eerie memories of "Children of the Corn" which I insisted on watching when I was 11. I quickly picked my ears and went onto the tomato vines.

I'm so excited for all my new fresh – and local – produce. I ended up with 10 ears of corn, 2.5 lbs of tomatoes and 2 lbs of blackberries for $9. I can't wait to bake with the blackberries...I'm thinking some sort of cake for the weekend....stay tuned!


I'm tackling the second annual 92 Days of Summer list.
See the full post and list here and comment
if you want to help me cross a off a few!