Thursday, July 5, 2012

#84: Upcycle


I seem to inherit a lot of Mike's team shirts to use as "sleep shirts." However, how many "sleep shirts" do you really need? Especially when they look like this ;) After seeing this tutorial for upcycling old cotton tees into workout shirts, I got busy!


All you need is a shirt, scissors and about 10 minutes. I wasn't as generous with my cuts as the tutorial showed, but honesty, do it! I had to go back and make some of the cuts a little deeper. Also, I'd advise using a shirt with low or small logos (away from the necklines), unless you don't mind them being cut away.


1. Cut away the sleeves, neckline and bottom hem.
2. Figure out how low you want your neckline and cut more of the fabric, I cut away another 2-3 inches.
3. Flip the shirt over and cut a "V" into the back neck (here's where mine should have been lower). Also cut into the armholes another 2-3 inches.
4. Using the leftover bottom hem, tie a knot around the two back pieces and wrap down several inches.
5. Once you've reached your desired wrap, tie another knot.
6. This is optional, but you can angle the cut of the shirt so it's higher in the front than in the back.

 I'm tackling the second annual 92 Days of Summer list.
See the full post and list here and comment if you want to help me cross a off a few!