Thursday, July 19, 2012

Thrifty Thursday: #60 Make Granola Bars


Today seems to be quite a food day here at the blog. But I found this recipe for "super easy no bake granola bars" which included ingredients most people would have around their house. Sounded like a great way to cross #60 off the list. Seven hours later I'm still not 100% convinced with this recipe. Although I accidentally bought rolled oats, so that's where my problem probably lies. I suppose if I followed directions, I'd have better luck...Here's what you do:

Combine 2 cups quick cooking oats and 1 cup Life cereal and set aside. Melt 1/4 cup butter, 1/4 cup honey and 1/3 cup brown sugar in a saucepan over medium heat. Add 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Pour the sugar mixture over the cereals and stir well, making sure everything is coated. Grease a baking dish and press the granola into the sheet. Sprinkle with chocolate chips or raisins (or both :) and gently press them into the batter.

After four hours mine weren't sticking together so I put them in the fridge for an hour or so. They harden up enough to cut them into bars. I'm keeping them in the fridge so they stay together.

I'm tackling the second annual 92 Days of Summer list.
See the full post and list here and comment
if you want to help me cross a off a few!