Thursday, June 20, 2013

#69 Pimento Cheese


I'm not really sure why this is on the list other than I had some at our friend's Casey and Greg's last summer and it was so yummy that I've been thinking about making it for a year! Turns out it was also a learning experience for me. I thought a pimento was just a red bell pepper, but turns out it's actually a sweet cherry pepper. You'll often see the cherry peppers in the olive bar and they are usually 1-2" in diameter, however, they can grow up to 4" wide. They are sweeter than the bell pepper and some varieties can be spicy. One last thing, the word "pimento" is Portuguese for "bell pepper."

On with the recipe!

8 oz. cream cheese (light or fat free is fine)
3 tbsp mayo
1 handful of shredded cheddar cheese
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
3-4 slices of jalapeno, chopped
6 oz. jar pimentos, drained, patted dry and chopped

Throw everything in your mixer for a few minutes. Serve with crackers, veggies, or on a sandwich.

Number 62 is off the list! I'm participating in my third 92 Days of Summer challenge. Read about the project here.