Tuesday, August 20, 2013

#33: Make a Terrarium


Mike and I planned on making a pirate-themed terrarium, but I can't seem to locate any little pirate or sea creature figurines. I decided to go forth with a more traditional terrarium until we track down our perfect ocean scape. Glass Gardens gave me lots of advice, ideas and some succulents to get started.


I purchased the birds, moss and rocks from the dollar store, the cutest snail figurines from Eggleston Garden Center and the popsicle  sticks, rocks and glass vase I had laying around home.


Now, I am no professional at this so I would contact Glass Gardens for further information for your specific project. All containers are different, so what works for me, might not work for you! I actually over watered and made my terrarium into a dirt and stone soup, so I had to dump it all out. I also had much better luck with my second one as I pre-planned in my head a little as to what I wanted it to look like.




I was thinking that these would make the cutest centerpieces for a wedding, then guests could take them home at the end of the evening. In total materials I spent less than $10 and still have a lot of leftovers (the plants would be the most expensive part, but I know a guy ;). I had a fun couple of hours finding the materials and building the terrarium. Can't wait for the next one!


I'm participating in the 92 Days of Summer challenge. To learn more about it, click here.