Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Homemade Veggie Corn Dogs



I used to eat veggie corn dogs all the time, they were taken off the shelves of every grocery store around here a few years back. This summer I was determined to try and make them myself and I think I'm onto something here! The taste was exactly right, but the appearance has little to be said. I've seen people make mini corn dog muffins, but that just doesn't seem the same to me. However, they are waaaaay cuter than my attempt. Like I said, a work in progress...what would you suggest?

Here's what I did:

1. Mix together Jiffy cornbread according to directions.
2. Grease bread loaf pan. Pour 1/4 of the cornbread batter onto the bottom of the pan.
3. Cut the ends of the veggie hot dogs so they fit short-width-wise. Hold on to the ends though, you can use those! You can fit 4-5 dogs, plus the remnants can make up one.
4. Pour the rest of the batter on top of the veggie dogs. Bake in the oven at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes. 5. Let rest a few minutes and pop out of dish. If you're so inclined, you can poke popsicle sticks into the ends...I didn't get that far though.


I'm participating in my third 92 Days of Summer challenge. Read about the project here.