Monday, July 29, 2013

Monday Musebles: Berry Picking


Last year I liked going berry picking so much, I had to add it to the list again. Virginia Beach has so many farms to go 'pick-your-own' you couldn't cover them all in a day anyway. This year I decided I wanted to go blueberry picking and found a few farms that offered it. Apple Berry Manor was the closest farm in Virginia Beach, so that was my first stop.


The rules are simple: 1. Pick blueberries. 2. Leave what you think is a reasonable payment in the milk box at the front door. Or, leave half of what you pick and take them for free. How sweet is that? The big old house is quite lovely and on a long windy street of horse farms and training facilities. After driving down the long gravel driveway, you'll find the blueberry trees behind the house to the left.


I think I was a little early still. There were definitely enough for me to pick, but give it another week and the fruit will be overflowing from the trees. I picked about a pints worth of berries and left $5. I haven't decided what I'm going to do with them yet...Mike has requested blueberry muffins. Although these look pretty delicious.


After I finished up at the farm, I decided to drive further down the road. I noticed it was a dead end, although had signs for a marina - that certainly sounded tempting! Sure enough, there was the West Landing Marina. Quaint little place with a place to put your boat in the water, kayak and canoe rentals, picnic tables and great views of the Intracoastal Waterway.




I stopped at Cullipher Farms Market and Vaughan's Farm Market and scored some beautiful sunflowers and zinnias, which I am determined to have growing in the garden next summer!



I'm participating in the 92 Days of Summer challenge. Read about the project here.